I had some leftover cream cheese in the fridge and I thought of making my favorite and quick hot dip. I know the more famous hot dips are the spinach and cheese but I just thought I’ll whip up something with what I have in the fridge and in my little herb garden. I don’t have spinach but I have my lovely sweet basil in the garden.
I promise this is super quick and easy. You don’t even need an oven.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- sweet basil 4-5 leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup sweet cooked ham, chopped or cubed
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk (depending on your preferred consistency)
- 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
In a saucepan, add olive oil over medium heat. Add butter and when melted, throw in the garlic and onions. Saute for a minute or two. Add the cooked ham. Saute for a minute. Stir in the cream cheese, then milk. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until it starts to bubble. Add the basil leaves and turn off the heat. Add the mozzarella cheese and combine. Serve hot in ramekins.
Optional: On serving ramekins, you may add more mozzarella on top and put on the boiler for a few minutes.
Serve hot with crostini. Perfect appetizers!