What’s your favorite comfort food when you’re feeling under the weather?
I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather these past two days. Today was worse: sore throat, cough and colds and just blah. I couldn’t help but be nostalgic about those times when my brothers and I would get sick when we were younger. Mama would always fix us a pot of “pospas” or chicken and rice porridge. In Cebu, it’s known as POSPAS. It’s congee for the chinese. But however you want to call it, it’s the same really thick and soothing comfort food that I always had when I got sick. It’s made of chicken, rice, ginger, garlic all stirred together until they are this thick gooey consistency. It’s on top of my food memories to last me a lifetime.
I just had to have it today!
Since my mom is on the other side of the world, I guess I’ll just have to fix myself a bowl of that pospas goodness.
Let me share with you my recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 – 8 thick slices of ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3-4 chicken slices/parts (wings or drumstick work well as they have bones which will make the broth really rich with flavor)
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 4 cups of chicken broth or 4 cups water and 2 chicken cubes
- 3-4 tablespoons of fish sauce (Rufina Patis would be good if you can find it in the Asian stores)
- 3 stalks of green onion finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and soak in water for about an hour or so. I add a little oil on the soaked rice. Set aside.